Wednesday, June 09, 2010

pharm-eo-types

Stalkers of my Facebook would realise that I was at Skytrex just last weekend. Seriously, activities like these should feature more on young adults/kids to-do-list. Rather than karaoke or clubbing. Look what an unfortunately disaster I've become.

Screaming amongst the treetops...

"*u*k! Why are my legs so short?!", driving the rare species of our precious Malaysian rainforest closer to extinction. How are animals supposed to get aroused and breed, while listening to my whines?

Many exotic bugs died laughing, watching me cling onto trees for dear life, because I decided to chicken the moment I reach the platform.
(I had a serious conversation with my guts after the trip for not chickening earlier, utterly rubbish timing.)

Evidence of me conquering my preset pharmacist mindset.

For most of the time, my OCD with safety, marinated with anxiety, topped with a generous helping of paranoia was my mental diet. I conveniently blame it on 4 years of pharmacy education.

Always being reminded to act only with 100% confidence of safety, it was important to ensure that we did not have any part in compromising anyone's quality and (quantity?) of life, and also to maintain the continuity of our fragile career without lawsuits or professional disownment.

With career prospects this scary, paranoia became my best friend, because I would not let anything fishy slip through the cracks of my fingers, until I get down to the bottom of it.

That explains why I was double checking, and triple checking my harness at Skytrex, must've came across like a retard to new people I met, most of whom were auditors. There goes my first impression, flushed right down the toilet bowl - Pharmacists are psychos. Occupational hazard, much?

Like the pharmacist software installed deep within our puny little brains, information was processed as such:

What? Hello, my harness. Pleasure to meet you for the very FIRST time. I have no idea how safe you are.

How? Use the harness as per advise I just learnt from 'The Instructor'. The lecture was about 15 minutes. And I'm not even sure if he's passed his SPM even, so does he even know what he's talking about?

Actions taken? Zero previous attempts on my side. Several safe attempts from the other. That's reassuring, somewhat. But the we were trained not to take people's word for granted.

Medications? Not on any. Was not even hungover. That's good :) But I'm not sure about The Instructor. He was speaking, slowwwwwwwwwwwly.

The consequences? That's an EXTREMELY long fall, naturally that should be what's expected of the EXTREME circuit. Duh. But 1 fall is all it takes *gulp* And I will not die a peaceful death until I know my results in mid-June. Oh, how sad is my life.

My final decision? With a little reassurance, I afforded a little faith, and let go for the flight of my life. And it was exhilirating to say the least. A small price of faith, for generous returns of courage and accomplishment.

Lesson of the day?
Leave the paranoia to the patients. Override the defaulted settings MPharm has hardwired onto me, when outside of work. It may be as challenging as overcoming instincts, but I need to have faith, and take risks. Because...

"人生有多少个十年, 最重要的是活得痛快!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oiii... At least photoshop my name away la.. Kesian me oni..