Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Human Guinea Pig

Knowing that this MPharm, journey will not be without experimenting on subjects... I never did think that one day, I will be The Subject.

Allow me to reintroduce myself, I am Suet Ling, the Guinea Pig. Earlier today, I signed a consent form for voluntary experimentation. And not long after that, I was administered a Prescription-Only-Medicine(POM), in one eye, and saline in the other.

They tried to convince me that no side effects or complaints have been lodge from tis usage thus far, and that they have excellent medical coverage. However, I wasn't assured. First of all, it's a POM, that means in appropriate and/or incorrect usage could lead to severance of my eye. Secondly, Dr. Shalini (medical doctor, not a PhD canholding lecturer, in this case) is here to attend our class today, for a REASON.

I took that little package, and signed at the receipt of the POM. See how serious it is? This is not just some drug. *GULP* How? Take only lor... Worse come to worst, blind only ma... *sweating profusely*

As I awaited my turn, all I could do is only observe the others who have already started. It didn't help at all, seeing my fellow colleagues fleeing immediately after administration. Wee Yuen even dropped by at my group to say hi, all of her subjects have fled to wash their eyes, even before she can take any results at all. My doubts which I've tried to suppress resurfaced in an instant, only this time, more powerful. What have I gotten myself into? Initially, I volunteered not because I did it "in the name of Science", but it was actually due to my playfulness. Why haven't I grown out of this? Then it came my turn...
.
.
.
.
.
I'm not gonna describe the tedious and lengthy processes. It is yucky. Those who saw the changes in our eyes were gawking. We, as subjects are stunned too. Did I mention that the drug effect will not wear off till 4 hours later, and that subjects are advised to wear sunglasses, and not handle machinery or vehicle, prior to the wearing off of the drug? Not meaning to underestimate you, but you wouldn't understand. I don't either. I spent a whole night preparing for this Laboratory Studies in Physiology and Pharmacology (lenghty names, but damn pro sounding, hor?), which contributed to nearly nothing throughout the session. Frustrating, ain't it? I think I may just go bald even before I reach the end of my course, yikes! That is, if I don't die of self-drug-testing first. Dr.Ting did mention that there will be no animal sacrifice on our 4 year journey. Yay! Animal rights have finally been served in universities, let us all hope that this is the only the start and many more institutions will follow suit. I only hope to live long enough to see the changes. That is, I survive 4 years of drug testing!

Can someone please convince me, that, my life has not been shortened in any way, and that I will not suffer any adverse side effect later in the future because of this? Can't help but to think that way. Help...

Shall embrace myself for future experimentations.

No comments: