Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Electrocution

Today, I survived real-life lab electrocution.

I must admit, the electric shock was totally syok! Lol, get it? Shock and syok?

Ahem, I should stop that.

It was an experiment for our Laboratory Studies in Physiology and Pharmacology module, investigating the reactions of action potentials. We were given super cool devices to play with, electrodes, laptops with some high-tech complicated looking softwares, among others. The sight of these sets my adrenaline pumping!

Of course, in every experiment, there are variables and constants to control in order for us to obtain result. These mumbo jumbo, I'm not going to bother elaborating about. Trust me, I'm not too sure about the details either, lol. Electrodes were attached to my left arm (I chose the left arm, so that I can still finish my report with my right hand should anything happens to the left, smart move innit? *winkz*) and currents were conducted through my "funny bone" aka ulnar nerve. What a feeling it was, a tingly sensation, followed by some finger twitching! I can feel the current running along my entire nerve! Despite my best efforts of trying to resist the twitching, I realised that I just cannot control it, hehehe, so fun ya?

Here's the thing, Dr.Ting recommended that we start the stimulation at 5.0 mA, which produced a respond on all lecturers and staff. Skinny ones are encouraged to volunteer as there will be less fatty stuff interrupting the conduction, lol! Dr. Ting suggested that we start trying at 4.0 mA, since I'm so thin. A weird graph appeared on the screen, not excatly what we're looking for. Hmm... we thought the equipment was faulty. Dr. Stanslas then came by to experiment with different settings, hoping to produce a good reading off the computer, but to no avail. He tried so many times, that my hand went really cold. We tried switching test subjects, by letting Snowy try, but then there were no improvements, I became the guinea pig again. Once he ran out of ideas, he hinted that the problem was with me. Hey, I'm the one with the muscle twitching at every stimulation! It's the computer that's not giving any results, not me. He then apologised for over-stimulating me. I thought that sounded so VERY wrong. Left helpless, we kept fiddling around until we found the perfect reading at 9.5 mA!!! The group behind me only required 2.0 mA to produce something similar. Who would've thought I'd be so shock resistant, lol! By the end of the day, I was jolted over 200 times. Imagine that. That's not even the end of the day yet. The report was due at 5.00pm the following day. Need I say more bout what happened next?


I'm sooo gonna be volunteering again, this is so fun! Shock me!, LOL...

1 comment:

Shiromanjuu said...

sounds fun...lol