Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Merdeka in UK No.2

My second Hari Kebangsaan in UK. It wasn't difficult to count. I'm wondering when is the next time that I will actually be able to be a Malaysian, in Malaysia, with Malaysian food, and speaking Malaysian English on Hari Kebangsaan.

August 31st, 2010 is not just a regular day in the UK. It is the day AFTER Bank Holiday. Which means, the end of your Free-Monday-Holiday, back to a regular working day!

There is no hint of festivities here in Oxford, where Malaysians are few and sparse this time of the year. But still I couldn't help noticing this day, creeping up on me. I wouldn't call myself one who is uber patriotic to the country. I have as much bad things to say about the country as are the good ones. Was it because I was so used to looking forward to just a holiday?

Digressing a little, there has been plenty of reflection lately. I'm wondering so much, about pretty much everything... You can call me WonderGirl :)

Working abroad after my studies, I am a Malaysian who is contributing her skills and income tax to a foreign country. For the money, and for better prospects. Still, I would never dream of giving up my citizenship for Malaysia. And as you are right now, I am pretty confused.

Malaysia does still mean something to me, how much, I'm still trying to work out. I'm pretty sure, that many of the other Malaysians abroad would ultimately want to return to our homeland if only some circumstances would change. Prospects, mentality, rights, and so on...

As for now, I will celebrate my citizenship. By carrying the mini-Jalur Gemilang I got from Nottingham Malaysia Society in my backpack, and let the stripes of glory join the backdrop of The City of Dreaming Spires for today. And will probably dine in our nation's favourite food: MAGGI Instant Noodles in the default flavour "Kari". Tonight, I will sleep with hopes for our beloved country, and that they will come true.

Negaraku, Tanah tumpahnya darahku

Rakyat hidup, Bersatu dan maju

Rahmat Bahagia, Tuhan kurniakan

Raja Kita, Selamat Bertakhta.

No comments: