Saturday, May 26, 2007

Food & Tea Restaurant

On Saturday and Sunday, I ate at this new restaurant at Jusco Metro Prima by the name of Food & Tea. Yes, I went ate there on two consecutive days. Yes again, I know the name of the restaurant is boring with a capital B. What happened to creativity and being catchy? At least the mandarin name is acceptable, Huan Xi Di literally translates to Land of Joy.


If it weren't for the appearance of the restaurant, and their attractive banners, I wouldn't have walked in, in the first place. Even the name sounds so hastily chosen, surely you'd expect the same attitude towards the preparation of your food?

Mother Nature Mocktail, Rm 5.20
Sweet Sour Crabmeat sauce with Mantou, Rm 3.30
Cream of Mushroom "Brulee" Style, Rm 6.30

Apparently not. This my dears, is how they serve their mushroom soup. The soup alone is nothing to shout about, too starchy for my taste. However, you can expect an abundance of mushrooms in it, for the mushroom lover, moi. This is what sets it apart. It's served in a coconut shaped bread, freshly baked to perfection. Crunchy and the outside, yet soft and fluffy on the inside. When eaten together with the soup, ahh, it complements one another. Both the soup and the bread has to be eaten simultaneously to optimise your mushroom soup experience. Not a bad combination. But beware though, I found my peel-the-bread-from-the-top efforts futile. A little tug, and I felt my little bread bowl was gonna rip up and spill. In the end, we just bit it directly with our teeth, although you risk getting bewildered stares, and looking kinda stupid, it's much more effective at that.

An impressive menu with large photos, and big fonts! Why can't all restaurants illustrate their food? Big fonts are good too, especially for the semi-blinds like me. I just think it was awfully considerate of them to throw in a detailed description about the dish too. There were many choices, including bread, rice, noodles, porridge, HK style, Shanghai style, Tongsui, dessert, and a huge variety of drinks. By the way, I did order this. The picture of the real thing is somewhere down there.

Cheese Baked Rice, Rm 11.90 (if I'm not mistaken)
Haha, I caught my mom with her mouth full =P She said it was ok, except that it was a wee bit too filling.

Cheese Baked Seafood Noodles, Honey Red Tea
The tea was refreshing and it came in a big glassful. No refills needed =)
Cheesy is probably the best word to describe the dish.

Smoked Ham Focaccia, Rm 4.80
Oh, I ordered this, and it's cheesy, cheesy, cheesy! There's a thin layer of crunchy dough underneath, with a layer of streaky bacon I think, topped with loads and loads of cheese!
(and some weird mouldy-green stuff, but no matter, doesn't make a difference) Cheesy-licious!

Butter Chicken Rice
It's not too bad! I like its simplicity, and the fact that the chicken is so crunchy. Again, the gravy tastes odd on its own, but it does complement the chicken. The only thing to improve on is perhaps more veggie. If all Malaysians eat like this, we'd all be constipated.

Apple Green Tea Rm 3.80
XO Fried Rice with Chicken Rm 7.80
As you can see, I took this photo when Bernard was halfway through his rice. I would say the portion is just right for boys on puberty, even post-puberty ones, teeheehee. He seemed pretty happy about the food, and thinks we should go back there again. I forgot to add, that they serve FAST, although the dishes may seem a little fancy. We were seated after a 10 minutes wait, and all the food came like, around 15 minutes after ordering. That's 6 items for 2 persons. They make Broga Pan Mee look like a failure. Not too bad, within 40 minutes, we were done and just in time for our movie ^^

Coke & Lemon, Honey Peach Green Tea alongside Honey Red Tea.
Sunshine and Sweet Romance Mocktails with black straws.
The other drinks that we ordered. If you look carefully, you can also see the Fah Sang Wu, or Peanut Broth in the background. I wasn't kidding about the variety.

All in all, I would say this place is worth checking out, if you're just plain bored with all the other food. Check it out, First Floor, Jusco Metro Prima, Kepong. There's also a brand new TGV there too on the top floor, if you're tired of queues and cinemas running out of tickets.

No comments: